Tuesday, 30 June 2020 16:59

Seventh coronavirus-related death reported for Richmond County

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

ROCKINGHAM — A seventh Richmond County resident has died as a result of the coronavirus, the Health Department announced on Tuesday.

Health and Human Services Director Dr. Tommy Jarrell said the patient was in an out-of-county hospital.

The deceased was diagnosed earlier this month.

This marks the second death this week and the fifth in the month of June. The sixth death was reported Monday.

The county’s first death attributed to COVID-19 was reported on April 10; the second was on April 17; the third on May 30;  the fourth on June 8; and the fifth on June 11.

Health and Human Services Director Dr. Tommy Jarrell said the six deaths have ranged from age 31 to 92.

More Richmond County residents have recovered from COVID-19, the Health Department reported on Tuesday.

The number of active cases dropped from 91 to 79 a day after 11 new cases were added. There were three new cases announced on Tuesday, bringing the county’s total to 280.

Of the active cases, only two are hospitalized and 77 are under home isolation.

There have been 2,575 residents tested for COVID-19 since March, 252 since June 24. Of the tests that have returned, 2,230 have had a negative result.

Statewide, there have been 910,033 tests completed, with 64,670 (7.1%) returning positive for the coronavirus, according to the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.

As of Tuesday, there were 1,343 COVID-19-related deaths in North Carolina.

The Health Department announced the county’s sixth coronavirus-related death on Monday, which was the fourth in June.

The total number of statewide per diem cases is again trending downward, dropping from the third-highest one-day total of 1,719 on June 27 to 1,186 on June 30.

There have been more than 625 new cases each day during the month of June.

Records show the number of daily deaths has been steadily decreasing, with a few spikes, since a record high of 32 on May 25.

Sixty percent of those who have died from the coronavirus were 75-years-old or older; 

20% were aged 65-75; 15% were aged 50-64; and 5% were aged 25-49.

DHHS estimates that 45,538 patients have recovered.

BY THE NUMBERS

The number of local cases per age group are as follows:

  • 0-18 - 30
  • 19-30 - 51
  • 31-40 - 40
  • 41-50 - 51
  • 50-64 - 69
  • 65-older - 39

The number of cases per ZIP code are as follows:

  • Rockingham - 161 (121 recovered)
  • Hamlet - 77 (58 recovered)
  • Ellerbe - 26 (11 recovered)
  • Hoffman - 15 (4 recovered)
  • Mount Gilead - 1 - recovered

Several more counties have recently surpassed the 1,000-case mark. All counties with more than 1,000 cases are: Mecklenburg, Wake, Durham, Guilford, Forsyth, Robeson, Johnston, Duplin, Wayne, Randolph, Gaston, Burke, Rowan, Cabarrus, Alamance, Cumberland, and Sampson.

Davidson and Chatham counties look to be next, as they both have more than 900 cases each.

The total numbers (including recoveries) for surrounding counties are as follows:

  • Mecklenburg -11,170
  • Union - 1,201
  • Stanly - 378
  • Montgomery - 309
  • Anson - 128
  • Moore - 483
  • Hoke - 371
  • Scotland - 137

All numbers except Moore are from DHHS, which is from the local health department, as there is a discrepancy with the state. DHHS is reporting more than 20 fewer than the county.

The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, which last updated its numbers on June 29, is reporting 366 cases in Chesterfield County and 302 in Marlboro County.